Make your own free website on
Rothwell Town Archive
July Match Reports
July Match Reports
August Match Reports
September Match Reports
October Match Reports
November Match Reports

Date: Sat 24th July 2004      K.O.: 2.00p.m.      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunts
Last Seson's Result: N/A
Rothwell Town 1st Team 6 v 1 Rothwell Town 2nd Team
Parker Missed Pen (38)                           Foster (34)
Parker (38)
Pennington (50)
Naylor (57, 78)
Doyle (64)
Ramsden (83)
Rothwell Town's 1st friendly of the new campaign was arranged to help fitness levels, gain match practice and to allow the management teams view the new players in a match situation without the real fear of full physical contact.
The game began with the feeling of it being the 1st friendly of the new season with a scrappy opening 10 minutes as players tried to get accustomed to new positions and new players alongside them.
However as the 1st half wore on the 2nd team began to have the lions share of the possession and looked creative going forward. Nick Foster, Craig Smith and Pip Greaves all tried their luck but were unable to break the defence. With just over 10 minutes of the 1st half remaining the deadlock was finally broken, a ball in form the left wing found Nick Foster unmarked 12 yards out at the far post where he calmly headed over the oncoming Otley to make it 1-0 to the reserves.
The 1st team took this as a kick up the backside and were soon level after a handball in the box gave the 1st team a penalty. Kris Parker, who was given the responsibilty of penalty taker before the game, placed the ball on the spot and fired down the middle of the goal only to see it saved by the legs of Alan Marshall in goals, it was Kris who was quickest to react and made no mistake with the rebound. Half Time 1-1
The second half saw changes to either side with Doyle and Ramsden replacing Naylor and Temple with Jamie Kime moving to centre half alongside Ian Tolan. The changes saw Town's 1st team take a control of the game and it wasn't long before they were infront as a cross from Liam Robinson was helped on by Parker to Pennington who made no mistake to put the 1st's 2-1 up. Two more changes were made which saw Tom Naylor return in a midfield position, his impact was immediate as he helped set up Neil Doyle to fire home from the edge of the box.
As the 2nd's began to tire and heads went down the 1st team continued to make chances bringing a string of fine saves form Marshall, an excellent move down the right wing saw the ball cut back by Bjelic leaving Tom Naylor with the simplest of tap-in's from 3 yards, 4-1 and the 1st's were now home and dry.
A fifth was not far behind as Naylor raced clear of the offside trap before sliding the ball into the net from 10 yards for his 2nd of the match, an excellent solo goal.
The sixth and final goal came from Michael Ramsden as he was put through by Pennington to squeeze the ball through Marshall's legs and roll in. The whistle blew soon after giving the 1st a promising start to the new season after a shakey opening period. 6-1 appeared to be flattering after the dominance of the resrve team in the 1st half.
1st's Squad: Otley, Thorp, Tolan, Naylor, Haresign, Robinson, Kime, Temple, Pennington, Parker, Bjelic, Doyle, Ramsden.
2nd's Squad: Marshall, Payne, Lewis, Ledbetter, Firth, Thorp, Greaves, Whiteley, Myers, Foster, Smith, Hood, Morrell, Lean.
Date: Sat 31st July 2004      K.O. 3.00 p.m.      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunt's
Last Season's Result: 3-2
Rothwell Town 3 v 1 Kippax Athletic
Temple (21)                       (12)
Bennett (50 pen, 76)     
A scorching hot day saw Town looking to continue where they left off the previous week against the 2nd Team and register a second friendly win. The game began with most of the action taking place in the midfield with neither team being able to create a real chance at goal. Kippax began to pass and move the ball around the Town midfield and defence and rightly went ahead inside the first 15 minutes, an excellent move was finished with a powerfull strike from 20 yards into the left corner past the dive of Otley in goal.
Town found themselves a goal down for the 2nd game in a row and quickly set about getting level and it wasn't long before an equaliser was found. An inswinging corner from the right from Pennington was met 10 yards out by Mark Templar to head home his 1st Town goal. Rothwell began to pressure and looked threatening from corners. However the scoreline remained to half time. 1-1.
The match resumed with 3 changes including the return of last season's top scorer Jake Bennett, Tom Naylor and Paul Bjelic. Town continued to press at the start of the 2nd half and were rewarded with a penalty after Bennett was blatantly bundeled over in the box as he bore down on goal. It was Jake who picked himself up and duly despatched the penalty high into the roof of the net. 2-1 to Town.
Kippax began to counter attack but their 2 efforts on target were well saved, it was Town who scored the game's fourth and final goal to seal victory as a good move down the right wing between Naylor, Ramsden and Robinson saw a ball in from Michael Ramsden find and unmarked Bennett 6 yards out on the far post who made no mistake with his finish. 3-1.
As the heat of the day began to take it's toll on the players few more clear chances were made by either side with Town's defence looking strong.
Overall another victory for Town despite a below par performance.
Squad: Otley, Thorp, Tolan, Robinson, Richardson, Kime, Temple, Pennington, Parker, Doyle, Ramsden, Naylor, Bjelic, Bennett.