Make your own free website on
Rothwell Town Archive

August Match Reports

July Match Reports
August Match Reports
September Match Reports
October Match Reports
November Match Reports

Date: Sun 1st August 2004      K.O. 11:00 a.m.      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunt's
Last Season's Result: N/A
Rothwell Town Res 1 v 3 Armley Squash Club     
Greaves (45)                                (53, 79) (67)
Town Reserves were looking to overhaul last week's result to put themselves on track for the start of the season, a very humid Sunday saw Town entertain Leeds Combination League Side Armley Squash Club.
The game began with Armley dictating the pace with passing throughout the midfield. Fortunately all they had to show for this were corners as the Town defence held strong. The 1st real opening of the game fell the way of Michael Ramsden, a free kick on the half-way line was nodded on by Craig Smith into Ramsden's path, with one touch to control the bounce and a second to power the ball at goal saw a fine save from the Armley 'keeper. With the game heading towards half time Pip Greaves found himself 35 yards out, a neat turn and drilled shot found the "keeper's top right hand corner. The game was re-started and the half time whistle blew. 1-0.
The 2nd half saw a couple of changes in the Town team which upset the pattern of the reserve's game. It wasn't long before Armley were back in the game, a long kick from the Armley keeper wasn't dealt with by Town's defence, the strong Armley striker held off the challenges from Firth before looping the ball over Otley in goals. Town continued to press and saw a clear penalty claim waved away by ref Mick Stoddard. Craig Smith was unlucky with two clear opportunities, Foster found the 'keeper in fine form and Greaves was denied on the line from a corner.
Armley then extended their lead after a mistake by Lee Allen at the back who failed to clear allowing the striker through on goal on-on-one before sliding the ball into the back of the net. 1-2. Town's heads went down but continued to press, however it was Armley who secured the win as the striker was able to poke the ball past Otley and Firth to leave himself an epty net before tapping home. 3-1 and the game was over.
Town will be looking for a change of fortune in the very near future against the Sunday side in preparation for the start of the season.
Squad:  Otley, Firth Allen, Payne, Thorp, Whiteley, Smith, Foster, Lewis, Ramsden, Greaves, Armitage, Hood, Ford.
Date: Wed 4th August 2004      K.O. 6:30 p.m.      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunt's
Last Season's Result: 0-3 (vs mixed 1st/2nds)
Rothwell Town Res 1 5 Rothwell Town Sunday's
Temple (72)                                Wathen (10)
                                                   Pickles (18, 76, 81 pen)
                                                   Robinson Missed Pen (59)
                                                   Horner (52
Date: Sun 8th August 2004      K.O. 1:00 p.m      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunt's
Last Season's Result: N/A
Rothwell Town 0 vs 1 Methley
Another muggy Sunday saw Town entertain Methley Sunday side, a few personal battles seemed on the cards as off the field friendships with the opposition players were to be put aside.
The game began at a hectic pace with both teams looking to attack from the 1st whistle. Good passing movemet down either wing by Town saw the game's 1st real opening as Bjelic raced through beating the offside trap only to have his shot blocked by the chasing defender Adam Benson. From the resulting corner Town were again unluck not to go ahead as a near post flick-on flew across goal and out for a goal-kick.
With just 10 minutes of the 1st half remaining Methley took the lead after a misplaced pass was intercepted and played through for the on-rushing striker to place into the far corner past Otley. A harsh finish to the 1st half for Town who had battled well and created more chances. 0-1 Half Time.
The second half saw more of the same from Town with the introductions of Pennington, Foster and Doyle for fresh legs. Following another good move down the right wing between, Doyle, Pennington, Bennett and finally Haresign who's shot was well saved by the 'keeper Town were begining to feel that this may not be their day as Naylor fired the ball over the bar on the re-bound from 30 yards.
As legs began to get tired Methley began counter attacking with pace but never really threatening the Town goal. With only 10 minutes remaining Town began to pile more pressure on the Methley goal, seeing two corners cleared off of the line and the Methley 'keeper again to the rescue with a couple of fine saves. However the game went to Methley as time ran out handing Town their 1st defeat of the season.
Town can take credit from their hard-working performance and deserved more than they got. 
Date: Sat 21st August 2004      K.O. 2:30 p.m      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunt's
Last Season's Result: 2-1 (Bennett 2)
Rothwell Town (0) 0  vs (0) 2 AFC Barwick
Bennett Missed Pen (72)              Thirkell (70)
                                                    M Rostron (81)
Town began the new campaign at home to serious title contenders AFC Barwick with the hope of starting the season in similar style to last year. With the team relatively unchanged from the last friendly against Methley it was Town who got the game underway. Early exchanges were made in the midfield with both teams struggling to link several passes together and also to get to terms with the loose turf after the week long downpour. The first real opening of the game fell Barwick's way but the striker could only fire straight at Otley. Town began to find their feet and as a hopefull ball from Bennett was missed by the Barwick defender Bjelic  raced clear at goal but was denied at the last with a fine blocking tackle by the backtracking defender. Town tried to pressure the Barwick goal with successive corners and long range shots from Bjelic and a free-kick from Bennett which narrowly missed the angle, but were unable to find the target. Barwick continued to press themselves, but only created one further opening in the half.
0-0 Half Time.
The 2nd half began in much the same style as the first with both teams unable to string passes together. 10 minutes after the re-start Barwick were awarded a free-kick 20 yards from goal following a fair challenge by Kime. Up stepped Barwick's Yannie Methenitis to fire against the crossbar and back out where Town were able to clear. Town began to struggle to create any further openings and it was Barwick who opened their account for the season as ex-Town player Jody Thirkell was given time and space to advance to the 18 yard box where he fired home into the right hand corner despite a touch from Town's keeper. Within a minute of kicking off, Pennington found Bennett 20 yards out who skipped past the Barwick defender before being brought down inside the box to give Town the chance to level. It was Bennett himself who stepped up only to see his spot kick saved by the Barwick 'keeper Rich Davison's legs before the rebound was cleared to safety. 
Town's head's dropped and it showed as Barwick doubled their lead with 10 minutes remaining. Thirkell was allowed to nod on a near post corner where Martin Rostron waited in space to guide the ball into the net with his head from 6 yards. 2-0 to Barwick and the game was over. There was still enough time for Barwick to strike the cross bar one more time with a powerfull 25 yard strike, not long after the full time whistle went, handing Town their 1st defeat of the season which was a deserved one. Lets hope Town can turn things around before next week's game at home to Featherstone.   
Squad: Otley, Richardson, Tolan, Kime, Haresign, Thorp, Bennett, Naylor, Pennington, Bjelic, Temple Subs: Parker, Doyle, Kealing, Ramsden.
Rothwell Town Man of The Match : Jamie Kime
Date: Sat 28th August 2004      K.O. 2:30 p.m      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunt's
Last Season's Result: 2-0 (Pennington, Parker)
Rothwell Town (0) 1 vs 1 (0) Featherstone Colliery
Naylor (80)                                 (71)
Saturday saw Rothwell Town hoping to register their 1st 3 points of the season against a typically hrd working Featherstone who were also looking to get their 1st points of the season. The game began with Town trying to get the ball down and play into the wind with Featherstone hoping to strike on the counter attack. The 1st opening of the game came Bjelic's way after some good movements between Haresign, Kealing and Pennington, a low cross was poked goalwards by Bjelic but the keeper made a smart save with his legs. Few more chances were crated in the 1st half with Featherstone only firing one shot on target.
0-0 Half Time
The second half continued in much the same way as the 1st with most of the play concentrated in the midfield where Tom Naylor and Chris Pennington were working hard to supply Bjelic and Bennett up front. Town pressed harder and were unlucky not to go ahead on several occasions as Bennett flashed an effort across goal which only needed a touch. A succession of corners failed to bring an opening although what seemed like a clear handball on the line by a Featherstone defender was waved away. It was Featherstone who made the breakthrough in the tie after a mistake in midfield allowed a ball to be played over the top. Thorp committed himself but was unable to get a touch allowing the striker through on goal before rounding Otley and squaring the ball to his strike partner to tap in past Kime on the line. 0-1.
Town picked themselves up and began to pressure once more, ten minutes from time Bennett fired a corner in from the left which was met with a fine header from Naylor who scored his and Town's first league goal this season. 1-1.
With time running out shots began to rain down on the Featherstone goal without succes, two fine chances fell to Kime and Bjelic but could only fire over from close range. The full time whistle went without any addition to the score, 1-1. Town can feel hard done by and deserved all 3 points but for a lack of composure infront of goal.
Squad: Otley, Richardson, Kime, Thorp, Haresign, Doyle, Pennington, Naylor, Kealing, Bennett, Bjelic, Subs: Ramsden, Robinson
Rothwell Town Man of the Match : Tom Naylor