Make your own free website on
Rothwell Town Archive

October Match Reports

July Match Reports
August Match Reports
September Match Reports
October Match Reports
November Match Reports

Leeds & District Cup 1st Round
Date: Sat 16th October 2004      K.O. 2:00 p.m      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunts
Last Season's Result: N/A
Rothwell Town (0) 0 v 2 (1) Old Headingley
                                                  Kempton (45, 77)
Town still looking for a first win of the season came up against Old Boys Division 1 Champions Old Headingley in the 1st round of the Leeds & District Cup. Town were boosted with the return of striker Kris Parker who has been out injured since the opening day defeat to Barwick so again failed to keep the same team for two consecutive weeks.
The opening 10 mintes of the game saw a several misplaced passes from both teams as the rain and wind interfered with either teams game plans. The first real opening fell to Paul Bjelic who's attempted lob from 25 yards sailed harmlessly wide. Old Headingley began to get into their stride and looked dangerous from several free-kicks given away around the box. After half an hour Headingley were unlucky not to go ahead as a strike from outside Town's box was deflected by defender Craig Purcell away from Otley but saw the ball crash back off of the bar before being cleared to safety. As the game entered added time at the end of the 1st half the deadlock was broken as the Headingley striker found himself played onside by Purcell before looping the ball over the oncoming Otley to send Town into the break with heads down.
0-1 Half Time
With the half time team talk putting the emphasis on defending higher up the pitch Town began to pressue more causing several mistakes from Headingley but were still unable to create any clear cut chances. Town were not helped as midfielder Neil Doyle had to go off injured with a badly twisted knee as the pitch began to cut up. As Town continued to press Headingley began to find more openings in the defence and spurned several good oportunities to extend their lead. With just over 10 minutes the Headingley striker found himself through 1 on 1 with Otley, the inital shot was saved before Tolan conceeded a free kick on the 18 yard box from the rebound. From the resulting free kick the striker fired a curling shot into the bottom right hand corner to double his and Headingley's tally for the day.
Time was running out and Town were still struggling to create any clear chances, Full Time 0-2 and another defeat for Town who are now out of two cups.
Squad: Otley, Kime, Tolan, Thorp, Richardson, Haresign, Doyle, Pennington, Parker, Purcell, Bjelic, Subs: Clarkson, Ramsden 
Rothwell Town Man of the Match : Kris Parker
Date: Sat 23rd October 2004      K.O. 2:30 p.m      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunts
Last Season's Result: 2-2 (Doyle, Bennett)
Rothwell Town (1) 3 v 1 (1) Churwell Lions
Pennington (23, 72)            Breakwell (38)
Naylor (47)
With the news that Town striker Paul Bjelic had become disillusioned with the current performances and has decided to join local rivals Camerons things were not looking promising for Town, not to mention the absence of midfielder Neil Doyle through injury, fortunately there was the recall of Tom Naylor and Martin Kealing to the 1st team after being questionably sent with the reserves the week before.
With a few changes to the line up it was Chris Pennington who found himself playing up front alongside Kris Parker hoping to hand Town their first win of the season against Town's bogey side Churwell Lions.
With Churwell kicking off the game began at a frantic pace with both teams looking to get the ball down on the floor and attack at every opportunity. Some good work between Kealing, Pennington and Kime almost opened up Churwell inside the first ten minutes before the ball was cleard by the defence for a corner, the resulting corner saw Jamie Kime rise above everybody else to head goalwards but the defender on the post was able to head clear, things were looking promising for Town. Things went from good to better for Town when stand-in striker Chris Pennington was released by Parker before firing powerfully across goal into the 'keeper's right hand corner to give Town their 1st lead this season.
This strike only seemed to trigger Churwell into a more attacking mood, Just mintes after the re-start the Churwell striker found himself one on one with Otley but his shot was well saved from 8 yards before being cleared. A free kick was awarded to the Lions on the edge of the box. A low left footed strike which took a slight deflection was parried back into play where the oncoming Churwell attacker fired at goal only to be denied by the feet of Otley this time. Town were riding their luck and it wasn't long before Churwell were level. With just under 10 minutes of the half remaining the ball broke loose to the left hand edge of the 18 yard box where it was met by Jonty Breakwell with a clean strike across goal and into the top corner.
Half Time 1-1.
Returning to the pitch for the 2nd half, Town kicked off with a shot from the half way line by Kime which unfortunately troubled the corner flag more than the Lions keeper. However, from this Town were to take the lead again when Tom Naylor won the ball 25 yards from goal before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the roof of the Churwell net, 2-1 and a deserved lead for Town.
Churwell again began to attack but were thwarted by the excellent Town defence of Paul Richardson, Ian Tolan, Craig Purcell and Barry Haresign. It was from a challenging header and ball over the top from Tolan which gave Town their 3rd goal of the game, an attempted back pass was intercepted by the impressive Pennington who rounded the keeper before slotting home. 3-1 and the game was going Town's way.
The Lions continued to press but were unable to breach the defence but also left more space up front for Parker and Pennington who was unlucky not to add to his brace shooting wide and denied by some excellent goalkeeping. Time began to run out for Churwell and eventually did without either side adding to the scoreline handing Town their first 3 pointer of the season. Lets hope we can carry on over the next few weeks.
Squad: Otley, Richardson, Tolan, Purcell, Haresign, Thorp, Kime, Naylor, Kealing, Pennington, Parker Subs: Clarkson, Clark 
Rothwell Town Man of the Match : Matthew Otley
(Referee's MOM : Kris Parker - He's really proud of it)
Date: Sat 30th October 2004      K.O. 2:30 p.m      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunts
Last Season's Result: 4-4
Rothwell Town (1) 1 v 1 (1) Kellingley Welfare
Clark (37)                                  McDonald (3)
Following last week's 1st win of the season Town were hoping to make it 2 wins in 2 against high flying Kellingley Welfare.
One day before Halloween saw a nightmare start from Town. As Kellingley kicked off a ball down the left wing seemed to catch Town off guard, the winger latched onto the ball before crossing the ball to an unmarked striker 6 yards out in front of goal. A side-footed volley at goal looked to be giving Welfare a 1st minute lead before Otley reacted sharply with a right hand to block the shot and cleared for a throw in. Despite this warning Town did not learn, from the resulting throw another ball into the box was not cleared and a mis-hit shot from a Kells midfielder found it's way to striker Leon McDonald who smartly turned and fired home in off of the far post. 0-1 and only 3 minutes played.
Had this happened two or three weeks ago Town would be looking at a certain defeat with heads down. Instead the returning belief and hard work saw some excellent passing and moving throughout the team and some hard fair tackles.Things could have been worse for Town as a Kells corner was not cleared again and a header back across goal saw another one on one opportunity which was this time foiled by the left boot of Otley who's form seemed to be carried over from last week. The game began to open up for both teams with Parker and Pennington both going close and forcing 3 consecutive corners.
An injury to right back Carl Thorp forced Town into an early change bringing Liam Clark on as replacement.
Before Clark could settle a ball through the defece saw Otley called into action again who came out to the feet of the attacker preventing a certain goal. From this Town went back on the attack and with some excellent challenges from Kime and Naylor Kellingley were forced into a backpass where Liam Clark found himself as the furthest forward chasing down the keeper who then missed his clearence leaving Clark with a 5 yard tap in. 1-1 Half Time.
The second half began where the 1st left off with open attacking football from both sides, Parker again going close but failing to add to the scoreline. Kellingley were also pushing on but failed to create a clear goalscoring opportunity. Town suffered another set back as influential midfielder Jamie Kime had to be substituted following an innocuous clash leaving Kime with a deep gash to the knee.
Welfare began to get the upper hand and almost took the lead from a free-kick from their right wing. A whipped ball in found the Kellingley attacker free to glance a  header at goal from 16 yards which was clawed away from the top corner by Otley once more. On the occasion that Otley was beaten by a flick the ball was headed wide by Craig Purcell for a corner, the resulting corner almost resulted in a goal from Kells but were denied this time by Clark on the post who headed clear.
Welfare seemed to become frustrated and it was Town who began to get the upper hand, Purcell, Naylor and Pennington all had chances but fired narrowly wide or denied by the Kells keeper. Town continued to attack to the last minute but were unfortunate not to take all 3 points after another hard working performance.
More efforts like this and Town will soon find themselves heading up the league. 
Squad: Otley, Richardson, Tolan, Purcell, Haresign, Thorp, Kime, Naylor, Kealing, Pennington, Parker Subs: Clarkson, Clark, Toff 
Rothwell Town Man of the Match : Matthew Otley