Make your own free website on
Rothwell Town Archive

September Match Reports

July Match Reports
August Match Reports
September Match Reports
October Match Reports
November Match Reports

Date: Sat 4th September 2004      K.O. 2:30 p.m      Venue: Ryhill & Havercroft Sports Centre
Last Season's Result: 3-1 (Bennett)
Ryhill & Havercroft Sports (2) 4 vs 1 (0) Rothwell Town
Cross (38)                                                   Kealing (71)
Helliwell (42, 49, 82)
Town's 1st away game of the season was against the strong Ryhill & Havercroft side who finished a creditable 4th and also won the Division 1 cup in their first season in Division 1. Town were hoping that after having their 1st two games of the season cancelled due to waterlogging Ryhill may be lacking some match practice and could earn their 1st 3 points of the new campaign.
The game began in a hurried manner before Ryhill began to take more of a control of the game creating 2 or 3 half chances which were blocked by defenders. Town were almost gifted a goal as crossed wires almost lead to a Ryhill defender heading pasy his keeper, unfortunately for Town the ball bounced agonisingly wide. An early injury to Carl Thorp saw Michael Ramsden enter the field and Neil Doyle move into a right back position. The deadlock was broken as the game headed towards half time as a corner was fired home after a punch by Otley. To make matters worse Jamie Kime was left on the floor concussed. With only one remaining substitute Kime managed to continue but it was not long before Ryhill doubled thier lead as poor defending allowed a short free-kick to be taken and a cross chipped into the box before being met by captain Dean Helliwell with a powerfull diving header.
Half Time 2-0.
Following the break Ryhill quickly added a third after Town failed to clear a corner, a ball back into the box was flicked on before being met 6 yards out with a 2nd header from Helliwell. Town began to play their best football of the game after this and started to open up the Ryhill defence. As Town began to battle for every ball Tom Naylor suffered a knock in a tackle leaving him with a suspected broken arm. Town's only remaining substitute was manager Tony Clarkson who took his place in midfield. 
Town continued to pressure and grabbed a goal with a scramble after some good work by Haresign and Bennett, Martin Kealing claimed the goal although there was a hint of a touch from the defender. Town now had the initiative and were unlucky not to grab a quick second as a shot from Bjelic was directed into the path of Ramsden by the keeper but could only fire high and wide from 10 yards. 
Ryhill continued to look dangerous on the break keeping the defence busy but with 8 minutes to go consigned Town to their 2nd defeat of the season. A free-kick was crossed in high, Otley came to claim but was beaten to the ball by Helliwell who completed his hat-trick of headers. Full Time 4-1.
With Town counting the cost of another defeat and the injuries the hope of 3 points carries over to this week's home game to Mount St. Mary's. 
Squad: Otley, Richardson, Kime, Thorp, Haresign, Doyle, Pennington, Naylor, Kealing, Bennett, Bjelic, Subs: Ramsden, Clarkson
Rothwell Town Man of the Match : Barry Haresign/Paul Richardson (Joint)
Date: Sat 11th September 2004      K.O. 2:30 p.m      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunts
Last Season's Result: 0-1
Rothwell Town (1) 1 vs 3 (3) Mount St Mary's
Bjelic (39)                            Kelly (3, 32)
Bjelic (39)                            Perkins (27)
Town went into the game with the belief and hope that the season could turn round here and beging climbing the table into a comfortable position.
The game began with Town playing into a strong headwind so knew that it was going to be hard work, unfortunately they instantly made the task even more dificult as a poor pass from Kealing 25 yards out to Tolan was intercepted before being slid through for the Mount striker to chase onto, Otley challenged but the ball popped out back at the attackers feet who controlled on the by-line before crossing into a supporting team mate who made no mistake with a header from 8 yards. 1-0 down and only 3 minutes on the clock.
Mary's could have doubled their lead on 15 minutes with a volley from close range but were denied with a fine save from Otley pushing the ball over the bar. Alarm bells were ringing in the Town defence as midfielders and strikers were unable to hold onto the ball up field. Mary's doubled their lead just before the half hour mark as a throw in was conceded just inside the Town half, the throw was taken and Kime won the header sending the ball back to the thrower who lashed a hopefull shot from 35-40 yards which thundered into the top corner. 0-2 and things were looking bad for Town, the score soon became 3-0 as a whipped inswinging corner was met with a flick from the Mary's striker and then Jake Bennett's back which helped the ball into the net. 0-3.
Town gave themselves some belief when a good passing move between Bennett, Doyle and Parker released Paul Bjelic to notch his first goal of the season with a fine calm finish from 12 yards across the 'keeper. 1-3 and Town were in with a shout before half time.
With the wind behind in the 2nd half an emphasis of "shoot on site" was put into play. Town began the 2nd half brightly with Neil Doyle working hard in midfield defending and attacking but were unable to break down the resolute Mary's defence. As the game continued without any serious efforts at goal manager Tony Clarkson introduced himself to the game but was unable to find a breakthrough. At the other end Town were rarely troubled as Mary's were holding on to their lead. Late chances fell to Bjelic, Clarkson and Pennington but all were wide of the target. The full time whistle went handing Town their 3rd defeat in 4 games and keeping them rooted to the bottom on Division 1 and only 3 goals in the For collumn. Well done to Mount St Mary's who's tactics were well played out but Town need to start finding the back of the net. 
Squad: Otley, Kime, Tolan, Thorp, Haresign, Doyle, Pennington, Kealing, Bennett, Parker, Bjelic, Subs: Clarkson, Clay
Rothwell Town Man of the Match : Neil Doyle
Date: Sat 18th September 2004      K.O. 2:30 p.m      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunts
Last Season's Result: N/A
Rothwell Town (0) 0 vs 3 (2) Hartshead Senior
                                           Dillon (11)
                                           Richardson o.g. (21)
                                           Gill (76)
Saturday saw the return of defender Craig "Rio" Purcell for his first team return after a bad leg break last year, this allowed Jamie Kime to move into his favoured centre midfield spot, sadly at the same time Town were missing Tom Nolan through injury while Jake Bennett and Chris Pennington have both decided to call it a day with Town.
With the wind behind Town in the 1st half a good start and a couple of goals were needed before the change around at half time. A scrappy start by both teams began to settle as Town tried to push for the opening as Bjelic, the lone striker, saw an effort from range sail easilly wide. Hartshead began to string several passes thogether through the new look midfield and took the lead after only 10 minutes after a cut back from the left wing allowed Hartshead striker Neil Dillon to finish unmarked from 6 yards out. 0-1 and things were not looking good.
Hartshead then quickly doubled their lead after a similar cross, this time from the offside looking right winger was turned past Otley and into the net by defender Paul Richardson for an own goal.
This seemed to spur Town into raising their game but as before they had to go 2 goals down to realise this. Few openings were being made but Town were beginning to play better football. Jamie Kime, Neil Doyle and Bjelic again all found themselves with scoring opportunities but failed to test the keeper.
Half Time 0-2.
The 2nd half continued in the same way as Town pressed and Hartshead counter attacked but were unable to add to the scoreline. Some neat passing between Haresign, Kealing and Greaves down the left hand side allowed a cross to be thrown into the box but was cleared by the defender, the ball fell to Kime who could only fire over from 25 yards out. It seemed that Town were running out of ideas as Hartshead began to mount more sustained attacks.
As time was running out Hartshead thought they had secured the points as a corner was flicked on to the unmarked defender who controlled and fired at goal from 6 yards but was denied by a fine save from Otley who soon turned from hero to villain as a back pass was fired straight at an opposing striker, the ball cannoned to the left where Johnny Gill found himself with an open goal on the edge of the box allowing him to tap home. 0-3 and the game was over.
Heartshead continued to attack and were denied again by Otley saving down to the left hand corner from a strong header and then again minutes later where a combination of hands feet and anything else that could get in the way between Kealing an Otley prevented a 4th goal.
The whistle blew for full time and left town pointless again still searching for their first win of the season under new manager Tony Clarkson. 
Squad: Otley, Purcell, Tolan, Richardson, C.Thorp, Haresign, Doyle, Greaves, Kealing, Kime, Bjelic, Subs: Ramsden, S.Thorp
Rothwell Town Man of the Match : Jamie Kime
League Cup 1st Round
Date: Sat 25th September 2004      K.O. 2:30 p.m      Venue: Fifth Avenue, John O'Gaunts
Last Season's Result: N/A
Rothwell Town (0) 0 vs 4 (0) Knaresborough Town
                                                  Warburton (46, 53)
                                                  Pearson (71)
                                                  Ellerker (83)
Bjelic (39)                                  
With no pressure on Town away from league duties against clear favourites Knaresborough from the Premier division it was a chance to go out on the pitch and enjoy the 90 minutes and maybe cause an upset. Another blustery day saw Town playing into the wind in the 1st half  and were soon under pressure from Boro. Some excellent passing and moving predominantly down the left hand side resulted in several crosses being drilled into Town's 18 yard box but were comfortably met by the defensive duo of Ian Tolan and Craig Purcell. Town were not without their own attacks as Bjelic, Ramsden and Pennington looked to take on the Knaresborough defence and it was Chris Pennington who brought the 1st save from the keeper in the match. Few chances were being made by either team and it was no suprise to reach half time goalless.
Half Time 0-0.
The half time teamtalk emphasised the need to keep hold of the ball and not to give possession away too easilly, unfortunately Knaresborough took the lead within a minute of the restart without Town touching the ball as a through pass between Purcell and Haresign fell for the Boro striker, Sam Warburton, to fire into the top corner. 0-1. Boro soon doubled their lead as the left winger was allowed time to fire across goal where the cross was met with a side foot by Warburton for his 2nd of the game. 0-2. Heads went down slightly but Town continued to work hard and were awarded a free kick 25 yards out. Up stepped Neil Doyle but his shot was smartly saved by the keeper after a deflection off of the wall. The otherwise untroubled Boro keeper almost allowed Town back into the game after a poor throw out was pressed by Haresign who crossed to the far post but Bjelic was unable to make up the ground. Slightly against the run of play Knaresborough were awarded a corner which was taken short, the ball in was knocked down before the centre half Matt Pearson out muscled the Town defence to turn and fire past Otley from 6 yards to make it 0-3.
As time began to run out a fourth and final goal was added as Ian Tolan failed to clear and had the ball stollen by the left winger, in a similar style to the 2nd goal the ball drilled across was again met 7 yards out with a tap by Chris Ellerker to end the game with just over 5 minutes remaining.
Full Time 0-4.
Although Town were beaten the effort shown throughout the team was promising, attention can now be turned back to the league where wins are needed and quickly.
Squad: Otley, Kime, Tolan, Thorp, Richardson, Haresign, Doyle, Pennington, Ramsden, Purcell, Bjelic, Subs: Naylor, Clarkson,
Rothwell Town Man of the Match : Neil Doyle